Monday, February 6, 2017

Teen review: Not a romance!

How to Say Goodbye in Robot
by Natalie Standiford
Realistic fiction
Not part of a series
276 pages
Reading level: Mature high school students

Reviewed by Aaron Yang, grade 11


Beatrice moves to Baltimore, Maryland, after her father changes jobs. There, she meets Jonah, AKA Ghost Boy, who is a ghost-like kid, bullied throughout his entire life. She meets him during Assembly and they create a peculiar friendship, that has its ups and downs. Although Beatrice assumes Jonah is a weird type of person, as so many people tell her, she realizes that deep down, he is actually a really great guy to hang out with.

I love the way the author wrote the novel in a fascinating fashion. I am addicted to this type of novel and wished there was a sequel to this book because it left me hanging throughout the entirety of the novel. The writing style made me kept reading until the end. It's amazing to learn the lives of these two totally different teens, who have different perspectives about society. I would seriously recommend this book to fans of relationships, robots, and realistic fiction. I would give this book 5 stars out of 5, since I could not put it down until the end. Also, I would suggest that you not judge a book by its cover, because the cover of this novel looked really dull to me, but the story inside is really worth the time to read.


Editor's note: I made a point (in the headline) of saying that this book is NOT a romance, because the poor ratings it receives from some people is because that is what they are expecting, and then they are disappointed. This is a story of an unusual friendship that stays a friendship, but it's quirky and sad and interesting--give it a try! (And P.S., agreed about the cover--the book isn't set in the past, as far as I can tell, so why use a phone receiver on the cover that most teens would never have used? Weird.)


No comments:

Post a Comment