Friday, July 8, 2016

Teen review: Psychic love

Lily Dale: Awakening
by Wendy Corsi Staub

Paranormal fiction, 240 pages

Reviewed by Ginny Potter

Calla thought her boyfriend dumping her through text was the worst thing that could happen, but boy, was she wrong. Two weeks after the breakup, she found her mother lying on the floor of her house, dead. Calla gets sent to live with her eccentric grandmother in her mother’s hometown of Lily Dale. Shockingly, it turns out to be full of psychics (including her grandmother), and after that discovery, things get strange. Calla gets some weird visions and starts to suspect that she may have her grandmother’s gift.

When I started Lily Dale: Awakening, I honestly had low expectations for it because first, I hate books about psychics--they’re just really awkward. Second, the cover was literally just a close up of a girl’s face. But I ended up really loving the plot, characters, and even the small town of Lily Dale. The mystery scenes in this book were truly written so well and with so much suspense, and it was just so beautiful.

I only dislike two things about the book. One of the things I found frustrating is that it ended on a cliffhanger. It was literally the. worst. cliffhanger. ever! Since I don’t exactly have immediate access to the rest of the books in the series, I’m just trying to figure out what could possibly happen next. The other thing I found frustrating is this character from the book, named Blue. I absolutely despise him. He’s a total player, and any time he flirts with Callie I wish I could walk up to him and yell at him to choose a girl already and not go back and forth with several.


Lily Dale: Awakening is definitely unlike any other book I’ve read, but in a good way. This book would definitely be good for any teen or older reader.

Editor's note: I didn't realize we had never bought the other books in this series. I'm getting them right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment