Saturday, June 11, 2016

Teen reviews: Riordan bingefest continues

The Mark of Athena
by Rick Riordan
(preceded by The Son of Neptune)
586 pages
Fantasy/adventure, Greek/Roman mythology
Appropriate for all ages

Reviewed by M.S., grade 11

Jason, Leo, Piper, and Annabeth arrive at Camp Jupiter to retrieve Percy, Hazel, and Frank so they can unite the Greek demigod camp, Camp Half­Blood, and the Roman demigod camp, Camp Jupiter, and go to Greece to defeat Gaea who is trying to destroy the world. In order to unite the camps, the seven demigods must go to Rome to let Annabeth retrieve the Athena Parthenos, which was believed to be stolen by the Romans but was not. Annabeth will have to retrieve the statue herself because she is a daughter of Athena. However any child of Athena who has tried to retrieve the statue has died.

This book was probably the most suspenseful for me of any in the series. There were so many exciting battles and shocks that I could not put the book down. I loved this book so much because it was so entertaining and kept my attention for the entire week I was reading it.The detail of this book is astounding and made me feel as if I was in each perilous situation.

I would rate this book a 5.


The House of Hades
by Rick Riordan
(preceded by The Mark of Athena)
597 pages
Fantasy/adventure, Greek/Roman mythology
Appropriate for all ages (but stressful to read)

Reviewed by M.S., grade 11

Percy and Annabeth fall into Tartarus, a Hell for monsters before they can regenerate and attack mortals and demigods in the mortal world. Percy and Annabeth have to travel across Tartarus to the Doors of Death and fight anything in their way in order to return to the mortal world, while the other five members of their group have to go meet them at the Doors of Death.

This was an incredibly stressful novel. After becoming attached to the characters, it broke my heart to read their perilous journey where monsters are constantly attacking. It was still an enjoyable book but made me cry towards the end because of a particular incident. I highly recommend this novel because it depicts the beautiful bond between Percy and Annabeth and how far they are willing to go to protect each other.

I would rate this book a 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment