Sunday, February 28, 2016

Teen Review: Star Wars for Gamers

Star Wars, The Old Republic: Revan
by Drew Karpyshyn
298 Pages
Science Fiction/Fantasy
Part of the Star Wars: Legends continuity of novels and The Old Republic series of tie-in novels
Reviewed by Michael Zhang, Grade 12


In the Star Wars canon, there are few characters as enigmatic as Revan. A pivotal character in many games and other works in the Expanded Universe of Star Wars, Revan has been a personal favorite character of mine, and as a young kid, some of my favorite memories were playing through Star Wars games such as Knights of the Old Republic, so when I heard recently that the writer of KOTOR was doing a novel based on my favorite Star Wars character, I jumped at the chance to read it.

For those who are unfamiliar, the book follows Revan (go figure), a central character in the KOTOR games. In this tie-in novel to the MMORPG game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, we learn more about Revan’s history and legacy as both a Sith Lord and Jedi Master, and while I will keep details light in regards to plot details to avoid spoiling the games and the book, suffice it to say that Revan is totally awesome as a character.

As for the book itself, I enjoyed it a lot. It was a welcome chance for me to reconnect with the character that I had known so well in prior works, and it serves as a bridge between what happened in prior events, as well as the events to come. In particular, I really liked the interaction between Revan and his allies, as well as the tongue-in-cheek references to the original KOTOR game.

Overall, I’d rate it 4/5 stars. There’s no real flaw with the book, just that it’s really safe in a lot of ways, and doesn’t take as many risks as I would like. The cover is absolutely majestic, encapsulating the character perfectly, and unlike most books, I WOULD judge this book by its cover, simply because it’s absolutely beautiful. Finally, I’d also recommend playing through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on PC or Mac, as while it’s an old game, it’s still a wonderful story with brilliant writing, and it’ll help maximize your enjoyment of this novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment