Thursday, January 21, 2016

Teen review: Steampunk

The Rithmatist
by Brandon Sanderson
384 pages
Steampunk / Fantasy

Reviewed by George S., grade 8

The steampunk novel The Rithmatist takes the reader into a world where Leonardo da Vinci is said to be the “great father” of the world. At a ceremony, children are given a chance to be gifted with the power of using chalk in ways one would think highly impossible. Lines can be drawn so nothing may pass through them, and beasts of chalk can be created to destroy or protect defense structures of chalk. However, when students at the largest school for these children begin to disappear, and wild "chalklings" seem to be the culprit, Joel tries to solve this mystery.

Everyone who I’ve talked to about this book has found the idea of a book about chalk to be highly repulsive. Also, they think there is math involved. Let me just say this, THERE IS NO MATH INVOLVED! I found the most interesting parts to be the illustrations in the book on defense structures, which makes this book feel like it applies to real life. I would rate it 5 out of 5 stars mainly because of this. I hope others will enjoy this book as much as I did.


Editor's note: I think I'm going to have to give up and read this book. I don't really get how critters made out of chalk are scary, but everyone who has read it assures me they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment