Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Teen review: Mystery

Inherit Midnight
by Kate Kae Myers
392 pages
Mystery, not part of a series
8th grade up


Reviewed by Aaron Yang, grade 10

In Inherit Midnight, by Kate Kae Myers, Avery's grandmother thinks her granddaughter is a troublemaker, and sends her away to boarding school, where she endures a miserable life. When her grandmother decides to leave the family fortune to the relative who proves him or herself worthiest (by solving puzzles and riddles on a race around the world), and an offer comes for her to compete in the last inheritance contest, Avery knows this would be her chance to escape boarding school, although she may endure hardships along the way.

I loved the plot of this book, because I have never before read such a mysterious and edgy novel. Kate has a way to make readers want to read on. Although the cover looks a little weird, you should never judge a book by its cover! I would rate this as a five-star novel, because it caught my attention and made me laugh really hard. This is a great book, and I recommend it to all readers who like mysteries and contests.


Editor's note: Burbank Public Library does not own this book, but we do have another of Kate Kae Myers's novels, The Vanishing Game, at two locations. It has been quite popular, and it's also been compared to two other popular titles (The Westing Game, and The 39 Clues), so I will put Inherit Midnight on my list to order.





No comments:

Post a Comment