Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My faves from 2015

Every year about this time, on the main library blog, we feature the "best of 2015" selections of various library staff members. I thought, therefore, that I would share my YA favorites from this year with you here, as well. I read 154 books this year, a good percentage of them YA, and I'd like to feature those I thought were interesting, different, and/or truly great. They weren't necessarily all written this year, but this is the year I discovered them. Here's my list, in no particular order:


The Martian, by Andy Weir

Not exactly a YA book, but definitely YA-friendly. We chose this for high school book club after multiple nominations, and honestly, I didn't expect to like it so much, but I couldn't put it down. Even not knowing anything useful about math or science didn't deter me--this book was amazing. The suspense level was through the roof (as any good survival story should be), the humor was the perfect leavening, the writing was smart and engrossing, and I was fascinated throughout. A giant step forward for true science-based fiction!


Canary, by Duane Swierczynski
Again, not specifically a YA book, but I contacted the nominating committee and proposed it for consideration for an Alex Award, because I could see high school book club being fascinated by it. It kind of reminded me of The Lock Artist, by Steve Hamilton, one of our faves. Multiple points of view done well, lots of twisty turns in the plot, and a stellar ending. Here's my complete review, on the main library blog.


The Truth Commission, by Susan Juby



This is a book about three students at a high school for artists in a small town in Canada, but the book is supposedly narrative nonfiction, written by one of them for her junior year "special project." So it's first person narrative with footnotes, many of them addressed to her English teacher, who is also (fortunately) the school counselor. Anyway, the three best friends conceive of a joint project they call The Truth Commission, in which they approach people and ask them bald-faced questions about things that are "known" about them without ever really being revealed or acknowledged by that person or by all those who gossip about them. The project is an initial (though risky) success, but when Normandy starts applying the truth-telling to her own family situation, things quickly get out of hand. Here is my full review, on the teen blog.


The Fixer, by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The book is described as Scandal meets Veronica Mars. If you like(d) either one of those television shows, you will probably love this book, a tasty thriller. Here's my full review. This is the book that Ally Carter's All Fall Down wishes it was.


The Boy Most Likely To, by Huntley Fitzpatrick

An unconventional romance with a lot more than just heart (pardon the pun). My full review is here.


Glory O'Brien's History of the Future, by A. S. King

King's books are not for everyone. They are, let's face it, pretty weird, and (from what I hear about the new one from Anarda) getting weirder. But I loved the quirky magical realism inherent in Glory's story. Here's more about this book.


I'll Meet You There, by Heather Demetrios

This book is about poverty and hardship, about war and consequences and heartache, and also about love. Read all about it here. One of my best-of-2015 books, regardless of whether it's YA or not!






I realize, looking at this list, that the majority (if not all) of these books are for 9th grade and up. So as not to neglect the middle-schoolers, here are some books from book club that I particularly liked:

The Chronicles of Kazam (The Last Dragonslayer, etc.), by Jasper Fforde
Variant, by Robison Wells
The Apothecary, by Maile Meloy




And from us at YAThink? to all of you...



No comments:

Post a Comment