Thursday, August 13, 2015

Teen Review: College Guide

by Ann Shoket and the Editors of Seventeen Magazine
187 pages

Nonfiction
Mature/ High School (ideal for someone going off to college soon)

Reviewed by M. K., grade 12


This college guide from Seventeen Magazine claims to tell you everything you need to know so that you can "walk onto campus and own it!" This 187-page book covers how to deal with roommates, guys in college, tips on saving money, myths about college, how to tackle the party scene, meal ideas, dorm essentials, and many more aspects of college life.

This book is such a helpful tool for young adults going off to college. It is jam-packed with tips and tricks on everything you need to know about college and college living. As I am currently a high school senior, reading this makes me really excited to go off to college in a year! The only downside to this book was that it didn't really touch on school life in college. I just think they could have thrown in a page on study tips and managing/aceing exams, projects, etc. It also would have been helpful to have a page about managing your social life and school. Aside from that, I really enjoyed everything! The tips on saving money and the party section were two of my favorites. I also really liked how they talked about what you should do during the summer before you leave. Also, don't forget to make a note of the helpful scholarship/ job opportunity websites that they list on pages 138, 146, 149, and 150! 

I would give this book a 4 out of 5. I marked it down a number because, as I have previously said, they didn't specifically talk about the school part of college. That is, obviously, the reason why you're there in the first place. I just feel like it should have been a crucial part of it. They used 187 pages and couldn't even put it on a single page? That's just my take on it. The cover was pleasing to the eye, with all of its bold letters and bright colors. Loved that! I gave this book four stars because the author/editors gave us what they promised and they added cute pictures too! If you are going off to college in the near future, it's definitely worth a read! Thanks for reading my review!


Editor's note: I told M. K. that I was so pleased to receive a review of a nonfiction book--and such a useful, timely one, too! If any of the rest of you are nonfiction readers, reviews of those are happily accepted for the blog as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment