Monday, March 16, 2015

Teen review: Realistic Romance

Getting Over Garrett Delaney, by Abby McDonald, is an impactful realistic fiction story that shares an important message about independence to which I believe all girls can relate. The story is narrated by a smitten teenage girl, Sadie, who is hopelessly in love with her best friend, Garrett Delaney. The lovestruck teen has spent long years languishing for him while Garrett cluelessly goes through hook-ups and break-ups with other girls. All year, Sadie has strategically planned out how Garrett will finally realize his unconditional love for her during a summer literary camp, but when Garrett calls Sadie to confess his undying love for a different girl, all Sadie’s dreams are mercilessly crushed. After some catastrophic occurrences created by her lovesick mind, Sadie realizes that her Garrett obsession has become a major problem in her life. With the help of old and new friends, Sadie embarks on a journey to find out who she really is, and to totally reinvent the girl called Sadie.

I was extremely surprised to find that I actually really enjoyed this book. I didn't think this genre was exactly my cup of tea, but this particular novel has proved me wrong. It was a pleasantly refreshing change from my usual stack of fantasy novels, and I really loved laughing along with the lighthearted characters. Sadie was a person I could really relate to, and after reading this book I wanted to read it again! Everything considered, I would rate this book as a 4 out of 5.

Reviewed by Michelle, grade 8

No comments:

Post a Comment