Thursday, February 19, 2015

Teen review: Paranormal

Made for You
by Melissa Marr
356 pages
Paranormal fiction
For high school and up

Reviewed by Patrick Castro, grade 11 


Made for You by Melissa Marr was a big "trend" book in 2014. It had all the elements for hype--suspense, a serial killer, and a touch of contemporary. It was a good book, and did deliver on some parts, but it wasn't super thrilling. Overall, I really liked reading the book and it was excited seeing how the whole thing came together.

Made for You is about a girl named Eva Tilling who lands in the hospital after being intentionally hit by a mysterious person. As she gets better, the whole town is abuzz about who tried to kill her, and Eva soon develops a skill--the ability to foresee people’s deaths when they touch her. It also brings her closer to Nate, an old friend whose feelings for Eva soon spark. I thought the whole book had an intriguing and fresh idea. I liked how the book was fast to start and kept on rolling. Marr really hit it on point with the story and plot, but her characters were a fail for me.

Eva was an okay character, but I was expecting so much more out of her. I liked the way she told her flashbacks when she touched an item, and it was vivid and clear. I expected Eva to be more colorful and characterized more. She started to be a stale cracker for me towards the end of the book. I liked Nate, he really gave something more to Eva and the story and his relationship was interesting.

I did absolutely love the action and suspense scenes in Made for You! They were clear and action-packed, Marr definitely knows how to write killer action scenes, and the book showcased them perfectly. In addition, I also loved how the book pieced everything together, with the visions, the killings, and Eva's ability. The ending was the strongest part of the book, and no reader would have guessed the ending!

 

Be sure to pick up Made for You! It was an intriguing and clever book.


No comments:

Post a Comment