Friday, November 7, 2014

Teen review: Retold fairy tale

by Melissa Kantor
283 pages
Fantasy / retold fairy tale
Recommended for grades 7-12
Reviewed by Kayla, Grade 10

Lucy Norton's life is the exact opposite of a fairy tale. Her mother died when she was little, and her father got married to a witch of a stepmother whose daughters are annoying and obsessed with fashion. To top it all off, her bedroom is a basement with no furniture and she has to do all of the chores in the house. Plus, after just moving, she has no friends. Her art is her escape, though, and she winds up meeting the star of the basketball who she has a major crush on. Will her life take a turn for the better?

This book was really cute. I could relate to Lucy, as she is the same age as me. I had read another book by this author and I really enjoyed it so I decided to try this one.  Lucy said everything that most teenagers think but won't say! She is a hilarious character who I loved reading about. I wish that there was another book about her so that I could read about her other funny adventures. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is either in or going into high school because it will be a relatable, enjoyable experience. I also enjoyed the cover because all of it was in black and white except for the star on a fairy wand, which was in shiny gold.

I rate this book as a 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment