Friday, September 12, 2014

What we're reading: Sequel


I was lucky enough to have a librarian friend who went to the American Library Association convention this summer and brought home a bunch of ARCs (Advance Reader Copies)--for me! Yep, half a dozen YA titles not due out for months--such riches! I am sorry to say I haven't had time to read all of them yet, but the one I was most looking forward to was finally up this past weekend. That was Sinner, by Maggie Stiefvater, which is the fourth book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and it took me so long to get around to it that it released in the meantime, and we now have it available in the library! So you can read it, too!

That series was a trilogy (Shiver, Linger, Foreverfor a long time, but then she wrote this spin-off, which is about Isabel and Cole, off in Los Angeles--Isabel trying to survive her toxic family while fitting in with the pretty people, and Cole recreating himself as a musician by getting clean and sober and booking himself on a reality TV show that follows him around while he cuts a new album. But his real reason for coming to Los Angeles, says Cole, is to reunite with Isabel. Wistful sigh. There are so many things that could go wrong between them, not the least of which is Isabel's severe lack of trust and, well, Cole's tendency to turn into a wolf. Yes, I mean literally. But there are so many things that could go right, too...

I really liked this book. Maggie did such a good job of projecting Cole's and Isabel's dynamic personalities onto the page that I expected to go online, look up sharpt33th.com, and see the whole reality TV thing about their lives play out like Big Brother. (If you DO go to that website, there's a nice surprise waiting for you...)

It's been a loooong time (with many books between) since I read the trilogy, and although there were a few points at which I wish I had dipped back in to remind myself of things, this book mostly stood on its own without a refresher. So if you have NOT read the trilogy you might still enjoy the book quite a lot...but I think the back story is still essential. You need to know who these people were to understand the significance of who they are and who they want to be. I think I liked this book even better than the series, in some ways, because it was about two of the edgiest, most charismatic characters, and of course it was set in Los Angeles, which gives it an added something for we Angelenos!

Good one, Maggie! Now, on to Blue Lily, Lily Blue! Coming in October...



No comments:

Post a Comment