Friday, September 26, 2014

Teen review: Gritty realistic fiction

Shine
by Lauren Myracle
350 pages
Realistic, not part of a series
9th grade and up--mature

Reviewed by Patrick Castro, grade 11

I'm shocked!


Honestly, after reading Shine, by Lauren Myracle, I am at a loss for words. The story was beautifully written and every page was impactful! I was so surprised by how much I loved the story and how great it turned out to be. Shine was a gritty YA book that was so moving and poignant, I honestly recommend this book to any reader out there!

Shine had a very complex plot, yet I could easily follow Cat, the main character and how she pieced together the clues about how her best friend, Patrick, was attacked in a hate crime. Patrick is gay, and Cat desperately needs to find who did it to him. She faces so many challenges and it was mind-blowing to see everything come together. Throughout the whole book, I really liked Cat. She was such a strong, determined character, I think anyone could relate to her. And Shine has a diverse cast that really made it a complex book, but still very easy to read.

Shine was also a harrowing read that will shock every reader to their core. I would definitely re-read the book over and I like Myracle's take on thrillers. The book really leaves you with a great message: No matter what sexuality a person is, you shouldn't treat them in a different or bad way. Everyone is a great person and Shine really brought that message alive. Pick this one up!


No comments:

Post a Comment