A few ways you can celebrate...
1. Sign up to READ YOUR POETRY ALOUD at our Open Mic Night on Friday, April 25!
2. The POET TO POET Project: Write a poem in response to a poem. Click on the link to learn more.
3. POEM A DAY: Give them your email address and Poets.org will send you a poem every single day. What a cool way to get acquainted with poets from all periods, all styles, talking about every topic you can think of (and some you won't)! I did this three years ago, and I LOVE my daily poem.
4. DEAR POET Project: Read a poem from the list provided, and then write the poet a letter telling him or her what you thought of it / liked about it / found interesting compelling weird about it!
5. POEM IN YOUR POCKET: Okay, I have to confess that even I think this is a little geeky, and I'm not a teenager, but...some of you might like it! You pick out a favorite poem, make a copy of it, and on April 24, you carry it around in your pocket all day, and pull it out to read and share with others.
6. Watch a poetry movie! Dead Poets Society, Shakespeare in Love, The Basketball Diaries...
7. Start a commonplace book! Copy your favorite poems and quotations into a notebook to form your own personal anthology.
8. Play "Exquisite Corpse" with your friends! Sounds intriguing, doesn't it?