Saturday, February 15, 2014

Teen Review: Suspense!

Title: Truly, Madly, Deadly
Author: Hannah Jayne
Number of pages: 272
Genre: Suspense / mystery
Is it part of a series? No
Reading level: Grades 8 and up
Reviewed by:
Patrick Castro, 10th grade
 
Truly, Madly, Deadly is one of those book that hooks you from the beginning and keeps you up all night because of the suspense. It was that perfect book that puts you on the edge of your seat and leaves you desperate for the end! I liked this one a lot!

Sawyer Dodd is what everyone would see as the perfect girl with the perfect boyfriend, Kevin Anderson. She is realistically written, and I think she was really relateable--I could feel the things she experienced as I read. But after her boyfriend's fatal death, a note is left for Sawyer. As the clues slowly start to make sense, Sawyer notices that the killer is right under her nose.

I love the simple and clean plot that kept me captivated by Sawyer's story. The one thing everyone looks forward to in a suspenseful mystery novel is pacing. I think Truly, Madly, Deadly captured this perfectly! And the book had a lot of those, "Yes! I knew it! but then...NO!" moments, which I thought was great. I really felt myself in Sawyer's shoes. She goes through a lot, and the reader truly connects with her.


The faces I made as I read the book

In YA fiction, there are a lot of great psychological thrillers and suspense novels, and I think Truly, Madly, Deadly deserves to be on that list! Reaching the end, as I pieced together the clues, it got creepy! REALLY CREEPY! But it was a wickedly smart ending. Hannah Jaye managed to make sense of all the little details Sawyer discovers and uses it to her advantage. It was a great ending and another aspect of this book that I liked a lot was that there wasn't a full-on romance!

The book was a mash-up of Criminal Minds and Revenge! Truly, Madly, Deadly was one of the best murder/YA suspense novels I read this year, and I cannot wait to see what else Hannah Jayne has in store! Pick this one up soon!

If you love this book, also check out Find Me, by Romily Bernard.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment