Thursday, January 2, 2014

Teen review: Realistic fiction

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Number of pages: 221
Genre: Realistic fiction
Is it part of a series? No
Reading level: High School
Reviewed by: Angela, grade 12

This, along with The Fault In Our Stars, is one of my favorite books. The meaning of this book is inevitably so powerful. It's about building friendship and trust and losing the people you love and how to overcome it. I liked the fact that it had a lot of good quotes you can relate to. I also liked the way the setting was and how they all gave each other unusual nicknames you'd never think of. There isn’t one bad thing about this book. The writing in this book is a bit more philosophical than general but that’s what makes it so much more interesting. Id say it’s a quick read if you really sit down and determine yourself to finish it.

Alaska Young was my favorite character. She was spontaneous and mysterious. You could never predict what the author was going to have her do next. I did get a bit emotional in this book but not so much. I think the moral of this novel was to explain how you should appreciate the things you have before it flashes before your eyes and is gone. The book has lots of life lessons. I would rate this book a 5/5 and recommend it to anyone over the age of 15.

Editor's note: I put the original cover up there at the top (because I like it the best, it has the Printz award label, and also it is the one you will find at the library), but here is the array of other art concepts under which this book has appeared:


What do you think? I personally hate the two middle ones and think the first is great and the last is acceptable as an alternate. (These judgments are based on both content and personal art preference.) Think about carrying these around reading them in public--which one would you want to be seen holding/reading?)

No comments:

Post a Comment