Sunday, December 22, 2013

Teen Review: Dystopian fiction

Title of book: Pawn
Author of book: Aimee Carter
Number of pages: 346
Genre: Dystopian
Is it part of a series? Yes
Reading level: 8th grade and up
Reviewed by:
Patrick Castro, 10th grade

I loved reading Pawn from beginning to end, with its gripping premise, amazing characters, and crazy twists. It was a book that blew me away. I would call Pawn a great mash-up of every dystopian book out there, but yet Aimee Carter brings something new and addictive; I couldn't stop reading Pawn!

A GREAT PROTAGONIST
In Pawn, we meet Kitty Doe, who is a III with a determination for a better life--one in which she doesn't have to worry about judgment for her number in society. I thought Kitty was a great and solid character throughout the book. She goes through so much, from being Masked into Princess Lila, the Prime Minister's niece, to being separated from Benjy, her boyfriend. I loved how fast Aimee Carter takes you in--you will not want to stop turning the pages! Kitty has her own personality and traits that are true and honest; you just fall in love with her and her determination. I also liked how Aimee made the other characters real, with evil motives and showing no mercy--it made the book more intense and gripping. 

MASHING UP DONE RIGHT
Pawn was a great mash-up of The Hunger Games, Wither by Lauren DeStefano, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and The Selection by Kiera Cass, but it was written in its own unique way. There were twists and turns that Kitty and readers will face that pull away from the "mash-up" aspect to making it its own series, delving deeper into the politics to a rebellion Lila started. I loved those parts in the book. Well done and well written also!

ALL IN ALL
I really do recommend Pawn to any YA reader who loves to pick up dystopians for a living. It has such potential for a stand-out series, I cannot wait to pick up the next book.

Editor's note: The library doesn't own this book, but now I will definitely buy it! Thanks, Patrick.

No comments:

Post a Comment