Saturday, December 14, 2013

Teen Review: Dystopia!

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Number of pages: 487
Genre: Dystopian fiction
Part of a series: Yes
Reading Level: Grades 7 up
Reviewed by: G. R., grade 9

Divergent is a story that takes place in the Dystopian future. The society is divided into five factions: Abnegation, Amity, Candor, Dauntless, and Erudite. On a given day, all of the 16-year-olds must take a simulated aptitude test that will help them see for which faction they are best suited. The main character, Beatrice (Tris) takes the test, only to find that her results are inconclusive, and that she fits into multiple factions, giving her the category of divergent. Divergent individuals must keep this secret to themselves, as they face many dangers with their special abilities.

I loved this book; it was fantastically written. I loved the adventure and action in the story, and how there were lots of exciting things that happened. I specifically enjoyed the plot twists throughout the story. I was completely lost in this book from the moment I bought it (I tried to read it slowly, but it ended up taking me two hours to finish it in the course of two days). The book was so hard to put down, I found myself reading it at any possible time I could (even in between classes). I'm so glad that this book is part of a trilogy, because I can't wait to read the next books.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes action-packed books. Lots of my close friends have read this book, and they all love it. The cover of the book was very attractive; it showed the symbol of Dauntless, a flame. It was very intricate and beautiful. I would rate this book a 5/5, because it was such an extraordinary book.

No comments:

Post a Comment