Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Teen Review: Greek Gods

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Books One
and Two:

Reviewed by Celeste M.,
11th grade

The Lighting Thief, by Rick Riordan, is about a 12-year-old boy named Percy Jackson. Percy has a ton of problems, such as having ADHD, dyslexia, being expelled (again), oh and being accused of stealing Zeus’s master lightning bolt. And yes, Zeus as in the leader of the Greek gods. In this book, Percy learns about Greek Mythology firsthand by battling monsters, facing gods, and traveling all across the country to clear his and his father’s names. This book has 375 pages full of electrifying adventure. The Lightning Thief appeals to my sense of exploration and history. I love how Riordan brought ancient Greece together with modern day America. I could absolutely relate to the characters. Even though I’m not 12 anymore, I still feel closely linked to Percy and his friends. I can always have so much fun imagining I am a character in the book. The first time I read The Lightning Thief, I was in 7th grade. I just reread the five-book series for the third time, and I am now in 11th grade. These books never fail to impress me! Rick Riordan is a very talented writer. He cleverly twists the plot of The Lightning Thief into something completely unexpected. Riordan does an excellent job of bringing out the emotion in his readers. I recommend all of his books to anyone looking for an exciting journey. Persons from grades 6-12 can enjoy his great works of fiction. Of course, the books are not limited to just teens--I even recommend this book to adults looking for a little mythology. I would rate the book as a 5: Hard to imagine a better book, because it happens to be part of my number one favorite series!

Editor's note: The library also offers the audiobook and the movie.


The Sea of Monsters is the stunning sequel to Rick Riordan’s The Lightning Thief. In this novel Percy Jackson’s beloved Camp Half-Blood is in terrible danger of being attacked by ancient Greek monsters. Thalia’s pine tree, the magical border that protects the camp, has been poisoned! Together with Annabeth and a new “friend,” Percy must travel to the Sea of Monsters. Not only does he have to save Camp Half-Blood, but Percy must also save his best friend Grover! The Sea of Monsters is a fiction book and has 279 pages. It is the second of five books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I first read The Sea of Monsters when I was in 7th grade. I am in the 11th grade and I still love it! I recommend this book to grades 6-12. This sequel is as cleverly written as the first. As always, Riordan created an amazing plot. It never fails to surprise its readers. The book is a real page-turner. The way Riordan writes makes each character in the story seem real, and connects his readers to the characters. He describes the events of the story so well that I can easily imagine it as though I’m seeing it on a screen! One thing that makes this book so fantastic is the ending. I won’t tell you what it is, but I can assure you it is jaw-dropping! The cover is an accurate reflection of the story. By the end of the book, I could easily explain the artwork. I rate The Sea of Monsters as a 5: Hard to imagine a better book! I enjoyed this book so much that I read it three times!

Editor's note: The library also has this book as an audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment