Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Teen Review: Perks


by Stephen Chbosky
213 Pages
Realistic Fiction
Grade Level: High School
Reviewed by: Alexia H., 9th grade

I wouldn’t say that this book was life-changing for me, but I will say this: I came out of this book a wiser person.

The Perks of Being a Wallpaper is composed of a series of letters written by a high school freshman named Charlie that he sends to an unknown party. The letters chronicle his life as he explores new territory by the side of his friends Sam and Patrick, who teach him to “participate” in life, not just observe it as it passes by.

This book is special. Genuinely special. As I type this, I can feel my eyebrows scrunching together and my forehead wrinkle because for a while I couldn't tell what this book did to be so...special. But I think I’m starting to get it now.

What I think this book is truly about is the process of learning to live--not just exist. This book is about confronting issues within yourself that you didn't know were ever there. It’s about liberating yourself and being yourself and accepting yourself because in the end that’s the only person you can be. This book is about learning to forgive yourself and having love for the people around you, and not judging people because you never know what the things they are struggling through.

Yeah, I definitely get it now.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is special because you don’t need to go through what Charlie went through to learn a little about life. The book doesn't leave you with the pressure to change your outlook on life or guilt yourself into becoming “a better person” the way other books do when they try to teach you something. This book just is. And it’s your job to take what you can from it and “participate” in life knowing that you’re a little bit wiser.

☆☆☆☆☆ Five stars.


1 comment:

  1. Alexia, I really liked this review, and I hope you'll write more for us!

    ReplyDelete