Friday, December 28, 2012

Anarda's favorites for 2012

It’s that time of year again when Melissa makes me name that one book--Voilà! that I can hail as my favorite Young Adult read of 2012, and once again it simply isn’t obvious to me which is my absolute number one pick. So, I’ll write about several titles that I thoroughly enjoyed, that moved me, and that continued to grow in my estimation long after I finished them, and maybe one of them will rise to the top!

My short list of favorites include:

The Storyteller, by Antonia Michaelis
Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein
Tiger Lily, by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Froi of the Exiles (part two of a series), by Melina Marchetta
Bitterblue (part three of a series), by Kristin Cashore
 
All five books had in common their ability to make me care deeply about the characters--enough to cry or at least get teary-eyed--and while I never thought of myself as a person who even liked a three-hankie book, something about these titles gripped me and wouldn’t let go. Three of the titles--Code Name Verity, Froi, and Bitterblue--address the ravages of war and its aftermath; The Storyteller heartbreakingly depicts the toll of sexual abuse on a family and community; while Tiger Lily is the artful narration by Peter Pan’s Tinker Bell of the tragically thwarted love between Peter and Tiger Lily.

Nope, I can’t choose between them! You can’t compare apples to oranges, and these were all distinctive books. Choose the one that suits your mood, and read, read, read!

--Anarda

NOTE:
These are all books that we have previously reviewed on this blog (because, of course, we review what we like!). Here are the links, if you want to know more:

For The Storyteller, reviewed by Anarda
For Tiger Lily, reviewed by Sara
For Code Name Verity, reviewed by Anarda
For Bitterblue, reviewed by Melissa
And for Froi of the Exiles, see Melissa's review on Burbank Public Library's main blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment