Thursday, July 5, 2012

Book Festival and Convention

Erica's report:

Going to the ALA Convention in Anaheim was a really cool experience. We rode in style (a PrimeTime shuttle) and were pampered with a luncheon sponsored by YALSA and Penguin Publishing. At the luncheon, we met authors Ally Condie (Matched, Crossed) and Marie Lu (Legend, Prodigy), along with new author Jessica Khoury (Origin). We received advance reader copies (ARCs) of their books, and I got all of them signed! It was so cool, since I have read all of Ally Condie's books and I just finished Origin (it was good!). Cool bit for people who have read the Matched series: Reached (November) will be written from Xander's point of view!!!

We snagged a lot of ARCs, and although Henry got the most, I got 21. They're a mix of young adult fiction and graphic novels, plus a lot of merch. The trick to getting the ARCs was to befriend the people working at the booths, and they would always find something to give you, even if they were out.

When we actually attended the YALSA event, it was full of librarians and book nerds, so it was a pretty cool atmosphere. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green was mentioned numerous times (big shocker). It was awesome how we heard different opinions about the books.

Anyway, it was such a fun weekend. I've read Regine's Book by Regine Stokke, and Origin, which were both ARCs. Maybe I'll write a book review later...?

This was similar to the Festival of Books at USC, which took place in April, but there you did not get books for free. I met Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking trilogy) and John Green there!

The ALA Convention was really great and I'm happy and grateful our lovely librarians got to take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment