Friday, June 29, 2012

TEEN REVIEW: Ocean of Blood

The Saga of Larten Crepsley: Ocean of Blood
by Darren Shan
247 pages
Horror
Yes, part of a series (book two)
Recommended for grades 8-10
Reviewed by:
Javey G., 10th Grade

S U M M A R Y :
This is the second installment to The Saga of Larten Crepsley series. It is crucial to the rest of the series, which I would also recommend reading.


This book is about the vampire Larten Crepsley finding his own way in life. He often becomes restless, even with his best friend, Wester, and his master, Seba Nile, by his side, so he ventures to the home of Evana, the Lady of the Wilds, from which he flees in a hurry with her fiery assistant, Malora. Soon enough, Larten and Malora – despite her wishes – travel overseas aboard a cargo ship. It is there that Larten creates the gruesome memories that will haunt his life forever.

R E V I E W :
I think this book is very fulfilling, although I did think it dragged on for a bit too long. After having become so close to the character of Larten Crepsley, it was sad to see him make mistakes of such grandeur, but I do empathize with him. I would recommend this book to middle and high school students as well as those interests in gory adventures.

The cover definitely gives the reader an insight of what will happen in the novel. It depicts a maniacal Larten Crepsley laughing, with a ship sailing the ocean in the foreground. This is an incredible turning point in the story and will affect the rest of the series tremendously.


I would rate this book as a 4: better than most. Although it was not my favorite book in the series, I still enjoyed reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment