Thursday, June 28, 2012

TEEN REVIEW: Birth of a Killer

The Saga of Larten Crepsley: Birth of a Killer
by Darren Shan
261 pages
Horror

Yes, part of a series (book one)
Recommended for grades 8-10
Reviewed by:
Javey G., 10th grade


S U M M A R Y :
This book is about a man named Larten Crepsley, who suffers greatly at the hands of an evil man, Traz. After an irreplaceable loss, Larten’s rage drives him to murder. Fleeing afterwards, he seeks shelter in a mausoleum. There he meets an ancient vampire by the name of Seba Nile. Larten agrees to train under Seba as his apprentice. Upon leaving behind all of humanity, Larten subjects himself to harsh training, adventures, and bloodlust.

R E V I E W :

As a huge fan of Darren Shan, I feel the book was well written, exciting, and suspenseful. I have read this book twice, and it continues to surprise me. I feel as though Larten Crepsley is not just a character in the book, but rather someone with whose emotions, thoughts, feelings and actions I can identify. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed the Cirque du Freak series, people who like to anticipate scenes beforehand; and 8th- to 10th-graders looking for a good read. This book sets the tempo for the rest of the saga, so strap in and enjoy the ride!

The cover accurately portrays a monumental scene in the book. Without the scene depicted on the front, the rest of the series could simply not happen. It is creatively prepared and appealing to the eye.

Yes, this book is part of a series – a prequel series to the Cirque du Freak books.

I would rate this book as a 5: Hard to Imagine a Better Book. I believe it is one of the best by Darren Shan.

No comments:

Post a Comment