Tuesday, April 24, 2012

POETRY MONTH is almost over...

Have YOU read any poetry during National Poetry Month? No? What's your reason? You don't like it? don't understand it? think it's not for you?

Instead of compartmentalizing all poetry into a big box and sticking it in the closet for later (or never), why not examine some alternatives you might like?

Like...NARRATIVE POETRY.

For instance--the books of Ellen Hopkins, which are written in verse, but are gritty and realistic and cover such topics as drug addiction, homelessness, and sexuality...the books of Sonya Sones, whose titles say it all: What My Mother Doesn't Know, What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know, One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies...or one of my favorites, SHARP TEETH, by Toby Barlow, which takes place in Los Angeles and Mexico, involves wolf-like shapeshifters and drug dealers and a kindly dogcatcher, and kept me up all night when I finally (reluctantly) decided to read it.


National Poetry Month...it's not just about iambic pentameter!

1 comment:

  1. In April, I read Emily Dickinson's "I felt a funeral in my brain" for Drama class. Then I wrote a spoken word piece, which is performance poetry, and in my opinion it's very good. It was a response piece, which is basically responding to the classical poem. It is also titled "I felt a funeral in my brain."

    ReplyDelete